On behalf of the Board of the International Association of Scientific and Technological University Libraries (IATUL), we are delighted to welcome you to participate in the upcoming IATUL seminar in Munich, November 30 - December 1, 2010. The theme of this year's seminar is Librarians' Skills in a Changing Environment.
In our knowledge society librarians are traditionally the world experts in information provision. To live up to the high goal of optimal services for our customers, we have to stay innovative and need to develop our professional skills constantly for the benefit of our patrons. Lifelong learning is a must for librarians and information professionals. The development and implementation of efficient advanced training programmes is a major objective for libraries. Thereby various aspects need to be considered:
- What are the challenges ahead for libraries?
- What do scientists expected towards efficient information provision and library services?
- Which strategies for a structured human resources development are pursued within and outside libraries?
- Which skills and competence profiles are relevant to librarians and information professionals in the future?
- Which quality standards for advanced training and lifelong learning exist in the international library world?
To discuss these questions in a round of international colleagues we would like to invite you to participate in the seminar “Librarians’ Skills in a Changing Environment”. It is organised by the University Library of Technische Universität München (TUM) in cooperation with the International Association of Scientific and Technological University Libraries (IATUL) and addresses librarians and information professionals from Germany and all over the world.
We are looking forward to meeting you in Munich! This will be a wonderful occasion for professional and social meetings.
|Prof. Ainslie Dewe
La Trobe University
|Dr Reiner Kallenborn
Technische Universität München