After passing the oral examination, you must make the authorized version of your dissertation available to the scholarly public. To do so, you can publish your dissertation electronically on mediaTUM, the TUM's media server. Therefore please submit six paper copies at the Doctoral Office (TUM Center for Study and Teaching – TUM CST) and upload an electronic version to the mediaTUM.
What should you do?
Approval of title page
After the oral examination, you will receive a letter from the Doctoral Office, usually accompanied by an approved title page. If this is not the case, please send your title page to the Doctoral Office for approval.
At the same time, you will receive an e-mail with information about the further steps of publication.
Check your data and upload the dissertation as a PDF
In the e-mail you will receive your individual access link to the online workflow.
- Please check and update your author and dissertation details.
- Then select the option for electronic publication and
- finally upload your dissertation as a PDF file on our server.
- Please make sure to upload the final version of your dissertation. This must be identical – both in form and content – with the six paper copies you deliver to the Doctoral Office.
- According to the TUM Regulations for the Award of Doctoral Degrees the inclusion of a CV in your dissertation is voluntary.
- Assign a meaningful file name (e.g. lastname-firstname.pdf) to your PDF file. Search engines, such as Google, display file names during searches. The metadata of your PDF, entered in the document properties, is also indexed by search engines.
- Once you have uploaded your PDF, no further changes are possible.
Submit the written documents
After clicking the button for electronic publication, you have the choice between the following two options:
- Option 1: "Send me an author contract"
Select this option if you want to publish your dissertation in electronic version and have not yet signed an author contract for publication on mediaTUM. You will then receive the coresponding documents by e-mail.
- Option 2: "I already have a contract with TUM.University Press"
Choose this option if you will publish your dissertation with the TUM's publishing house and have already made agreements with TUM.University Press.
We need the following documents from you:
A. Author Contract in Duplicate
Please print the author contract you received by e-mail twice and send it signed and in duplicate to the university library by (internal) post (mailing address). Use the enclosed address sheet for this purpose. Or deliver the documents in person (room number). Sending the author contract by fax or e-mail is not sufficient.
Through the author contract you grant us the right to publish your dissertation on mediaTUM.
B. Embargo Period Application
If your dissertation should be published with an embargo period, please complete the provided embargo form and mail it – together with the author contract – to the university library. The second copy needs to be submitted to the Doctoral Office.
C. Proof of the approved title page
Send us a copy of your approved title page (signed by Ms Stinzel or Ms Reisenauer) – along with the author contract. If you do not have the approved title page available in paper form, you can forward the e-mail correspondence with the Doctoral Office about the approval process and the final version of your title page to email@example.com.
Confirmation of publication
When all documents (author contract, copy of approved title page, embargo form and PDF upload) have been received by the university library, we will check your PDF for long-term storage suitability, indexation of the full text, free access (no password protection) and accuracy of the data.
We will then publish your dissertation on mediaTUM. If you selected an embargo, your dissertation will not be available through mediaTUM until the end of the embargo period. Finally, you will receive a confirmation by e-mail that your thesis has been published, respectively that it will be published at the end of the embargo period.
For general information on the doctorate procedure please consult TUM Graduate School's website or contact the Doctoral Office (TUM Center for Study and Teaching – TUM CST).